Friday, July 27, 2012

Simplicity and Mayonnaise: Week 4, Tuesday and Wednesday


Tuesday:

Lunch: Chicken noodle soup and a separate bowl full of garbanzo beans and potatoes, watermelon

Beach in the afternoon.

Homework in the computer lab.

Early supper: Red peppers (pimientos), tortilla de patata, watermelon

Every night during supper we watch a game show called Pasapalabra. I think we've finally figured out how all the rounds work and we even got a couple trivia questions right.

Run: 2 miles


Wednesday:

A church in Valladolid (Santa María) at night
I always eat everything Mercedes puts on the table whether I like it or not. Today was the most difficult. We had “ensalada rusa,” or Russian salad, which we had been previously warned about in a conversation class; it's a popular dish here. It's a large bowl full of mayonnaise with peppers, pickles, olives, eggs, peas, and potatoes mixed in. I wouldn't mind it so much if we just had a spoonful, but this was an entire meal of mayonnaise. I'm sure we each ate a small jar's worth, no joke. Mercedes always gives herself less food than us. She also told us today that she's fattening us up (it's a good thing to her) and that she brags to her friends about how much food she gives us :) We should run more...

When I was taking my nap this afternoon, I thought I heard thunder, but I couldn't decide if it was trucks or not. When we walked to school for our Wednesday movie, there was definitely thunder and it was sprinkling too! This is the first time we've had precipitation since we got here. We might get some rain this weekend too.

We watched “Tesis” (Thesis), a thriller from the 90s in which a graduate student doing a thesis paper on violent films stumbles upon a real murder mystery involving the people at her university. It was very interesting.

After the movie I Skyped with my brother and sister-in-law (hi guys!) and then we went home for supper. Supper involved, uh oh, more mayonnaise. I suppose she was trying to run out of her supply. We had hard boiled eggs on toothpicks that had been dipped in mayonnaise. I tried to wipe most of it off on my plate. We also had olives, which I passed to Bailey when Mercedes wasn't in the room :) Also: salad and watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment