Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Museum and Batman, Week 3 & 4: Sunday and Monday


Sunday:

This was the first day that Bailey and I got to sleep in and didn't have to wake up for anything. We slept until about 11:00. We had something different for breakfast today: leche frita, or fried milk. It tasted all right but had a weird texture. We then went to the Museum of Valladolid. It's free on Sundays and it was really interesting. It had a bunch of artifacts that had been excavated in this area of Spain, like pots, tools, and weapons from as early as the 5th century B.C. The most interesting, to me, were the Roman artifacts like mosaics, sculptures, and coins. There were two floors and we only saw one before we had to go home for lunch, but we might go back next Sunday.

Lunch: Mussels and empanadillas. Also, I was peeling my peach (which I normally don't do in the U.S., but it actually seems like a good idea here because they seem to have an extra layer of fuzz) when it slipped out of my hand, rolled across the table, and onto the floor. Mercedes acted like nothing out of the ordinary happened, picked it up, wiped it off with my napkin, and handed it back to me :)

This was the first day we've stayed inside all day until supper. I finished reading the Hunger Games series and did some homework.

Supper: Tortillas de atún (tuna), tortillas de patata, pollo, salad, and another peach

We went to the school plaza right after supper and Skyped our families. I talked to my parents, grandparents, sister, and nephew all at once :) Next was basketball at the beach for a half hour then back home to bed.


Monday:

Four of the students from Texas are no longer in our class because they were only with us for three weeks. However, we now have a new student with us. She's from France, and her name is Clemence. I think she's making us look bad because she's only sixteen and speaks French, English, and Spanish (and maybe more, I don't know) but it's really great to have someone from a different culture join us.

Lunch: Chicken and rice, a peach

Today Bailey, Alex, Zou, and I went to see The Dark Knight Rises because the theaters are cheaper on Mondays. Here they pronounce Batman “Baht-mahn” and Spiderman “Spee-dair-mahn.” It was strange seeing the actors mouthing English words but hearing Spanish, but for the most part we understood what was going on. It was pretty good, and I'm excited to see it in English when I get back to the U.S. because it'll be like seeing it for the first time.  There's probably a lot I didn't catch. Since the movie was almost three hours long it took up our whole afternoon.

Supper: Pork chops, french fries, salad, watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment